The 20th International Conference on Intelligent Environments (IE2024) is the major annual venue in the area and will be held in the beautiful Ljubljana (Slovenia), a vibrant historic city, from June 17th to June 20th. For those who cannot attend in person, online participation will also be an option.
IE2024 offers an international forum and welcomes contributions from all over the planet. Intelligent Environments refer to physical spaces in which information and communication technologies, artificial intelligence, interfaces, sensing and actuating technologies are woven together into interacting spaces. The ultimate objective of such environments is to enrich users’ activities while allowing users to manage them and be aware of each other’s capabilities.
IE2024 is a multidisciplinary event welcoming contributions from a diversity of relevant areas, including sensors and actuators, the Internet of Things, signal processing (incl. audio and images), human-computer interaction, artificial intelligence, software engineering, context-awareness, pervasive and ubiquitous computing, applied in various domains, such as homes, buildings, cities, healthcare, agriculture, education, culture, etc.
IE2024 will include
- Full (8-page) and short (4-page) papers;
- 2 special sessions
- 7 workshops
- 7 tutorials
- Doctoral colloquium
- Industrial forum
- Demos’ & videos’ session
Moreover, IE2024 will host affiliated workshops.
Topics of interest include but are not limited to
- Sensors and actuators
- Internet of Things
- Smart homes, buildings, vehicles, and cities
- Smart spaces and communities
- Smart agriculture, education, and healthcare
- Industry 4.0
- Mobile computing
- Multimodal interaction
- Robotics applied to smart environments (SEs)
- Artificial intelligence and Computational intelligence
- Virtual/Mixed Reality
- Collaborative tools
- Pervasive and ubiquitous computing
- Context awareness
- Human-Computer interaction
- Energy efficiency
- Ambient Assisted Living
- Smart environment evaluation paradigms
- Signal processing (incl. audio and image) for SEs
- Software engineering applied to SEs
IE2024 will have 2 special sessions:
- Cybersecurity issues related to smart environments
- Emerging trends in Intelligent Transportation Systems
The conference will start with a series of 7 workshops:
- 13th International Workshop on Intelligent Environments Supporting Healthcare and Well-being (WISHWell 2024)
- 13th International Workshop on the Reliability of Intelligent Environments (WoRIE 2024)
- 6th International Workshop on Citizen-Centric Smart Cities Services (CCSCS 2024)
- 4th International Workshop on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning for Emerging Topics (ALLEGET 2024)
- 1st International Workshop on Intelligent Environments for a Sustainable Agriculture (AGRO 2024)
- 1st International Workshop on AI for Climate Resilient Smart City Infrastructures and Services (AI-CRSC 2024)
- 1st International Workshop on Intelligent Teaching and Learning Environments (WITLE 2024)
IE2024 will host 7 tutorials:
- Empowering Intelligent Environments: Sensing, Recognition, and Tracking (by Dr. Akira Uchiyama, Dr. Akihito Hiromori, Dr. Tatsuya Amano, Dr. Hamada Rizk)
- Sensor-based Activity Recognition in Emerging Domains (by Dr. Takuya Maekawa, Dr. Ryoma Otsuka, Dr. Kei Tanigaki, Dr. Qingxin Xia, Dr. Naoya Yoshimura)
- Blockchain Applications and Development with an Intelligent Environment: An Easy Start (by Dr. Weizhi Meng, Dr. Wei-Yang Chiu)
- Privacy-aware learning for sensor-based affect and behavior modeling (by Dr. Martin Gjoreski, Dr. Dario Fenoglio, Dr. Hristijan Gjoreski, Dr. Valentin Rakovic, Dr. Daniel Denkovski, Dr. Marija Poposka, Dr. Zoran Hadzi-Velkov)
- Digital Agriculture: informatics, technologies and user-centered design (by Prof. Stefano Chessa, Dr. Alexander Kocian, Dr. Silvia Torsi)
- TinyML for Sustainable Development (by Dr. Marco Zennaro, Dr. Rytis Paškauskas, Dr. John Shawe-Taylor)
- Generating Highly Realistic Doppelgänger Avatars: Technical Methodologies and Psychological Considerations in Virtual Environments (by Dr. Sameer Kishore, Dr. Nishtha Lamba)
The aim of the colloquium is to provide research students an opportunity to meet other people in a similar position, make relatively informal presentations, receive feedback from experts in the field, exchange ideas and experiences with each other, and make connections and have fun! Students should submit short (4-page) papers, which will be published in the IE2024 IEEE Proceedings. A prize will be awarded for the best colloquium paper.
In the Industrial Forum, colleagues from the industry domain will have the opportunity to showcase their projects while attracting funding or further expand collaborations with industry and academia at an international level. A limited number of presentation/demo slots of up to 30 minutes including questions and answers will be available for industry partners. During these slots, it will be possible for companies to present products/solutions/projects related to Intelligent Environments.
Demos & Videos
We welcome demonstrations of intelligent environments solutions and systems, which will be presented live at the conference. We encourage authors to prepare demonstrations that will be engaging for the audience. We also welcome videos of up to 5 minutes that may either demonstrate working systems, methods, or the authors’ vision of intelligent environments. Submissions should be made as 4-page papers; further instructions will follow afterwards.
- Papers accepted in the main conference as either short or full paper will be published in IEEE proceedings and available through IEEE Xplore.
- Papers accepted in workshops will be published as a volume of the IOS Press Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments book Series of IOS Press.
Proceedings will be indexed by Web of Science and SCOPUS.
A selection of papers will be invited to extent and submit extended versions to special issues of the following journals:
- Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, IF (JCR 2022) = 1.7 (Q4)
- Multimedia Tools and Applications, IF (JCR 2022) = 3.6 (Q1)
- International Journal of Intelligent Computing and Cybernetics, IF (JCR ESCI 2022) = 4.3 (Q2)
IE2024 includes keynote lectures by the following distinguished speakers:
- Paul Lukowicz, German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI), Germany (on-site)
- Toru Ishida, Kyoto University, Japan & Mika Yasuoka, Roskilde University, Denmark (on-site)
- Dr. Shamsi T. Iqbal, Microsoft
- Dr. Mozafar Saadat, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom
The following 8 awards will be presented at IE2024:
- Best Full Paper Award
- Best Short Paper Award
- Beatrice WORSLEY Award (best quality paper with a female co-author)
- Best Presentation Awards by a
- female presenter
- male presenter
- Award for the most influential paper in the last 5 years
- Best Doctoral Colloquium Paper award
- Best Demos & Video award
To submit a paper, please use the IEEE two-column conference A4 format. The Word and LaTex templates are available HERE.
Papers should be submitted HERE.
Conference paper submission:
Conference paper decision:
Conference paper camera-ready:
Workshop paper submission:
Workshop paper decision:
Workshop paper camera-ready:
10 December 2023
20 February 2024
28 March 2024
1 March 2024
5 April 2024
15 April 2024
17-18 June 2024
19-20 June 2024